Followers

5/17/2016

Butterfly Challenge = R is for Red

Good morning. Up very early on a rainy morning after many days of lovely sunshine. Oh yes, the demolition crew showed up to start taking down the bathroom walls this morning, so of course it would rain today. The window sashes were removed and as they were taking it out of the casing, and the rain was pouring down, I said "I do hope you know how to put that back in when you get all the material out". A little scary! The wall debris was tossed into a through the window into the bed of a dump truck pulled up next to the house, and will be disposed of.

Anyway, Mrs. A's Butterfly Challenge (R is for Recycle or Red) is still ongoing, and I decided to use the Yupo paper butterfly I had made earlier - which was too big for the card previously entered.

 
 
Two different papers were created using DI inks and a Crafters Companion plastic flower stencil. On the solid piece, embossed the stencil using this Ellen Hutson video**; just removed the stencil and started sponging Barn Red, Scattered Straw. Added just a bit of Art gold 'wax' paste . Found this little pot of colored waxy product in Hobby Lobby/A C Moore. I've looked at gilding wax, but the USA sources (Amazon) are so expensive to ship. This stuff doesn't have the odor of the tube product I've used. Burnished the surface with dried baby wipe after applying. On the lighter stenciling, left the stencil in place after embossing, then sponged with the same colors of DI. What a different look this creates. Cut from the yellow portion, as the red wings of the butterfly showed better on the yellow portion.  After die cutting the fold edge piece, used an offcut of the same sponged c/s to add on the interior right edge.
 
 **Since viewing this video, been looking at all my plastic stencils with an eye to using in this fashion.
 
- Penny Black Swirling Wings butterfly die cut from alcohol inks dropped on Yupo paper. This looks very shiny. Probably should have placed the butterfly lower down the card so that it was all on the gold sections...think the red colors would show more effectively. Always 2nd guess myself!
 
- S/B Borderabilities A2 Bracket 2 dies to create the edges on each side.
 
- PB sentiment die, cut from the solid sponged piece, and added a white fun foam layer under the colored piece for some dimension. Some gold pearls on the butterfly, and call this one done.
 
 
Ya'll have a nice day. My workmen have finished this part of the effort, waiting on someone else to show up and measure the space for marble. Floors need vaccuuming, although the fellas did a great job of cleaning after themselves. Just complimented them to their boss, who came by to remove the dump truck with all the debris.  I think an afternoon nap will be in my agenda - I hope! Hugs
 

39 comments:

  1. Your card is lovely! I really like the background papers and pretty butterfly. Good luck with the construction project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary, I adore this card. the colour mix is so bright and happy. Am I mad to think colours are happy???

    Hope your building work continues to go well. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely fresh zingy colours Mary and a stunning Butterfly who looks about set to take flight right off your card and what a real fun sentiment.

    I do hope they get your window back in before you get wet. Rain about to start here by the look of the black clouds but rather have it this week than next as they are rebuilding the conservatory then. They tell us all the units will be removed and the new ones in within a couple of days - why is it I don't totally believe them ?

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely bright card Mary. I still haven't thought of anything to do for this challenge. Hope the building work goes well with not too much mess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh you refitment is a major project, I hope it all goes well.
    Wonderful card what fantastic colours and the butterfly is amazing, super background too.
    Take care, Kate x

    ReplyDelete

  6. Beautiful! Very pretty background!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful and I love the nice summer colours. I have to take out my stencils and play for a bit. Despite all the mess and crap with renovations, once your bathroom is done, you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think a nap would be well deserved after all the construction crew left today. I know how nerve wracking that can be!
    Love this beautiful card Mary. I went over and watched the video too. I'm wondering if I could do that with the CB instead of a Big Shot. Anyway, love the look of your card and that pretty color. The butterfly is stunning!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that was the wrong thing to do Mary, send me off to watch a video. Many hours later and I now have 5 stacked up of techniques I just gotta try out!!!!! Now I find another 2 people have snucked in under the radar behind you. Having said all that this is a lovely vibrant card. Love the huge butterfly. Thankyou for fluttering by my challenge again and joining in the fun. hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary, I love your card. Fantastic colours and what lovely backgrounds you've made with inks and stencil. I like the way you've cut and layered them too. A very pretty butterfly.

    It sounds as if the men worked hard but what a shame you got rain. Thank you for joining the Butterfly Challenge. Barb xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry for your problems Mary, hope that they get back your windows very quikly!
    Tpday's card makes me fall in love!!! This is beautiful piece of art!! So happy, vibrant and stunning! The butterfly seems at home in this card!! And seems really fly!
    I pinned your fabulous make
    https://it.pinterest.com/pin/534802524482846075/
    Love the full backgroun and its different pieces: fab embossing and inking!
    And love also how you have assembled them with the brakets die, the edge gives them a fab movement! Great dimension on the fun sentiment!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heart did a little flutter at this creation Mary! Red - AND - a Butterfly - what's not to love!! Beautiful work Mary, love this, a lot! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bright, vibrant and oh so beautiful Mary! Have a lovely week my friend! Hazel xx
    My Card Attic

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this beautiful coloured card Mary, your butterfly is gorgeous.
    Hope your work gets done quickly..
    Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how lovely! I love the texture and the colours, so warm and cheerful!
    Good luck with the bathroom. Pictures when it's done? x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous card Mary. Love the colour combo. Thanks for the link to the video, have watched it and definitely want to give this a try. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful butterfly and fabulous backgrounds will have to check out the technique-hope you got your aft nap
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the artsy look of your red butterfly card, and the big YAY at the bottom spells celebration! Not only is the butterfly pretty, but the background is gorgeous in those fiery tones! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! This is GORGEOUS, Mary! I love the red and yellow and that technique is awesome! WOW! Glad they got started on your demo. Hope it all goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so gorgeous, Mary!! The background looks amazing!! I love the colors!! The butterfly is beautiful!! Love it my friend!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous dry embossed, stenciled and watercolored background Mary. Love your colors, design and stunning butterfly. TFS the link my friend. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW Mary! This is one of the most creative cards I've seen! What a fabulous design and thank you too for the link! LOVE the colors on this- SO beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous creation Mary. Thanks for sharing the video using the stencil. Lovely effect. Will have to give it a try! Your colors are wonderful and the butterfly is beautiful. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a great technique, Mary and you have made a stunning card with it. I can see why you would be looking through your other stencils!

    Sorry have not been by for so long. Mum is in congestive heart failure and keeps getting pneumonia. Hospitalized many times in the past two months! We have had plenty of trips up to visit with her and that has left me no time to craft. Just posting cards I had on hand before her health took a slide.

    Off for a good catch up thru your posts...

    ReplyDelete
  25. I had to pop over after seeing Loll do a Mary CASE of this fabulous technique! I don't blame her, your card is awe-inspiring!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a gorgeous card Mary - love the background you created and that fabulous butterfly!
    Do hope the renovations go smoothly for you.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  27. A lovely card - a fabulous butterfly and beautiful background too.
    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fabulous depth, Mary ... and such a gorgeous, bright butterfly ... simply lovely! Hope the bathroom renovations move along quickly and effectively ... and that you're left with a beautiful result (and not too much dust!). Hugs, Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fabulous card, gorgeous strong red colours and an awesome design.xx  {aNNie}

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gorgeous card Mary, love the vibrant colours and that fabulous butterfly. Thanks for the link to the video, learnt a couple of things there!

    Hope your building work is progressing well and not causing you too much hassle.
    Faith
    x

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yay! what a beautiful card!
    Good luck with all these construction work!
    xoxo Olga

    ReplyDelete
  32. Another lovely butterfly card Mary. I hope you and the house survive the demolition! I am sure it will be worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such rich colors! Love this fabulous card.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Loving the layout here You do much better with red than I do This is very interesting .....................Lis

    ReplyDelete
  35. The texture and shapes that you got from working with one stencil looks great! And I really love the sunny colours you used! Have a colourful day!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Pretty, vibrant colors and I think the butterfly blends beautifully with the background. You wanted it to pop more, I think, but I actually like how they blend...

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the colours you have used Mary and the prettily shaped edges, and that large butterfly is a beauty! x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love this color combination - love your card! Am off to watch the video!!
    sandy xx

    ReplyDelete