Followers

7/25/2013

All Occasion, Fun in the Sun

Wow, it's Thursday awready...has been a fast week it seems. Here's a card today, that is quite different for me to make. Some time ago, I was a lucky recipient of some beautiful candy from Loll. I have been thinking about what to create using these luscious little goodies (and in the meantime, just enjoying looking at them as I pondered). Last evening, I got the copics and airbrushed a background...which I've not done for some time now. Was a little rusty but just kept at it. Once I had the background sort of the way I envisioned, I remembered some paper I bought recently that has a 'beach sand' look to it, so I tore some paper (another simple thing I don't use much) and started in with this card.  I also realized after I had taken the photos, a dark background would have shown up a lot better.



The sun and umbrella are from Loll's candy.

Memory box dies for palm tree, turtle, fishes and sand toys. The bucket & shovel are from a garden set, but I thought they would work well for beach toys too.

Tried to work in some of the lovely waves that were part of the candy package, but they just didn't look 'right' to me on this one.

Gosh, does this card bring back some Florida memories....We used to go over to the beach at night, when the sea turtles were emerging from the ocean to lay eggs, walk the beach and observe. Long ago, one could just go over & do that. Since the sea turtles are an endangered species, as time progressed, this practice was discouraged. If the Mama sea turtle is in any way disturbed, she will return to the sea, not build the nest for her eggs. So turtle walks came about, supervised by an official source, and you just didn't 'go on your own' any more. We were fortunate to be able to observe the sea turtles on several occasions, and it was an incredible experience. Local lore had it, that one could predict the hurricane season by the turtle's choice of location for her nest. If she stayed low to the surf, not many bad storms expected. If she would go higher in the dune line, expect many & more intense hurricanes. Was it true? I can't say!

Hope you enjoy this one, and Thanks Loll for the lovely candy. I'll add the sentiment inside as I don't want to cover up all the fun in the sun embellies.

I'm going to link this to Jo's Scrap Shack FFC #9 Summer Fun. Why don't you play along?

As always, thanks for joining me today. Have a lovely one, whatever you may be doing today. Hugs

12 comments:

  1. What a jolly beach scene. Love that palm tree. I can see I need to go shopping .lol. Hugs Mrs a.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mary, I love this card!! What awesome blog candy you won from Loll! She does make the prettiest blog candy and how lucky of you to have won some!! The whole beach scene is amazing, I loved the stories about the turtles-would have love to have seen that myself!! Love the folk lure too! Well done as always my friend! Hugs! Thanks for joining us at Jo's Funday Friday;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Mary.
    Love your card. Great cuts. Love the palm tree and the sand. The whole thing is just fabulous. Thanks for joining Jo's FFC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary. I love your beach scene!!! That palm tree is adorable - love all the dimension! About your air-brushed background is gorgeous. Something I haven't tried, but maybe something I need to put on my wishlist??!! :) Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic card Mary, great use of Loll's beautiful candy too. You have some MB dies that I don't have yet LOL (I love their dies). Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is gorgeous Mary,I like the great scene you created.
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the dimension and texture! And it's just plain fun to think about the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the beach sand and the scene you've created. Thanks for visiting my blog & for wonderful comment.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! This is gorgeous Mary! I love how you airbrushed the background for the sky and water... so beautiful. The sand paper is awesome and I love all the detail you put into this card to make us feel like we are at the beach literally by looking at it! Thanks so much for playing along with us in our Summer Fun Challenge at Jo's FFC!!
    Hugs,
    Jo
    ♥ Jo's Scrap Shack ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful Beach scene card Mary. No rain today but it sure has been cloudy!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is just beautiful Mary - you are so creative and imaginative well done!!Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great card Mary...I love a good beach card.

    What a treat to have been able to observe the sea turtles like that...you were really lucky to have that experience.

    ReplyDelete