Followers

7/24/2013

All Occasion

Good Morning...Hope your day is going great so far. Here's another 'mess-up/try to save' card to share today.


Water can image - which I think is a Sweet Stamp -  had been stamped some months ago. I had just gotten the Whispers markers recently, so gave them a test on this image. (You'll recall I got 2 colorway sets at AC Moore on Sat and had several in each pack that were 'dry'. Receipt has been found, and these will go back to ACM). Flowers were easy to color with the tiny nib, so I liked the markers for that reason. Colored the can with a gray, tried to shade with one of the darker grays - it was too dry to use. Set the piece aside until the next evening, and went back over the can with a light brown marker (the other end is a brush nib). This marker was nearly dry, and caused the paper to 'pill'. That's when I decided the sets will be returned.

Another evening I was playing with the DIs, sponging colors on paper for backgrounds, spritzing with the Dylusions sprays over stencils.(you can see the white effect in the lower right corner)  Got something I rather liked, so let it dry. Then stamped with one of the Stamping Gear leaf stamps using Memento Tuxedo Black. The same set has a leaf branch stamp, so got a Colorbox Fluid Chalk ink (Creamy Brown) and stamped that around the piece. This shows a bit better IRL.

Now what to do with the background piece? Was still dithering about what to do with the water can image, so while watching tv, fussy cut it - placed it over this MS purchased doily. The doily pack has been on my desk since before Christmas, being moved from here to there, covered under stuff, etc. Well, it was just 'too white'. Got out the copics, my airbrush, and hunted up a small piece of lace. Using the lace as a stencil, I used E41, E42 to tea die the doily. Then hit the very tips of the doily with some DI tie die. After adhering the elements, I used my finger to add some Glossy Accents to the can, so that it's a bit shiny, like a piece of copper.

I hope my rambling on about salvaging items doesn't get too boring. My intent is that someone who is new to this stuff, will see that all mess-ups need to be considered before just getting tossed. Sometimes it is an opportunity to develop something that was totally different from your original idea! At one time, I'd have just gotten discouraged and never finished this card. I'm glad I didn't, because I quite like how it ended! I'll add a sentiment when I need it.

Enjoy your day. Lots of cyber hugs. Come again when you can.

8 comments:

  1. Wow Mary, for a mess up/try to Save card you did great! Love that watering can and flowers image.

    Chris B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary,
    What a bummer about the pens being dry - so glad you found the receipt and can return them. Your card is very cool - love the watering can.

    Also, loved how you "saved" this piece! I have a doily stencil I've used on my canvases but haven't thought of using them on cards. Great idea!

    Peace,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary I truly love this card!!!
    The colours are so rich and feel like an early summer morning in the garden.
    Great job!
    Hugs
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow love that background, awesome colours ! Beautiful! You asked about Gesso. It's a Acrylic paint primer. I went overtop of the busy Gelli Plate background where I wanted to stamp. Yes you let it dry first (I used a heat gun). I stamped with Black Stazon but Black Archival Ink will work too (since I was using wet media over the image). Take care, Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the background is awesome and the little embellishment looks perfect on it. Sometimes, these types cards can be either the most gratifying or the most frustrating! lol waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Mary, I think you did a great job saving this image and card!!! It is simply gorgeous! I love the colored image (sorry about the markers, but glad you have your receipts)and that background is amazing! You do make the best cards my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is too bad about the dry pens. I think you card is very pretty.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good save! I hate to throw out anything and try to use whatever I can of the mess. This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete