Followers

7/23/2013

All Occasion

Good Morning, and welcome. I am having such fun lately, just messing about with sprays, Distress Inks & getting my fingers all inked up. Now if you knew me, you'd know I am sort of a 'conservative, controlled' type of personality, who has never liked getting my hands dirty (even as a small child). So this is a big departure from my usual copic coloring habits. LOL. I'm not terribly innovative with these sprays - as I see on many blogs - but oh, I'm having fun. I love anything where what you end up with 'can't be wrong'. (wonder why that is???)

So here's a latest effort...totally experimental.

OK...now for the story...

the circular image started off as a watercolor attempt. The JustRite image was stamped on 140 wt w/c paper. Used Memento Gray Flannel, embossed with a clear powder, heat seat. Colored with Derwent Inktense pencils - just in places - not the entire leaf. Then used a waterbrush - very little water on the bristles - to shade the color outward towards the leaf end. Well, that was a real waste of time...looked terrible. Not one to give up, continued the background, in the same manner...then the trim around the circle. Background looked better than the flower, but didn't have any 'shading'. Diecut the image with a S/Binder and set aside to think about it for a while, Decided I would restamp a couple more images, colored them with copics. Handcut 2 images, and layered over the messed up w/color flower. Tried to do a bit of sculpting with the paper. This looked better...thought I could salvage it. (I have to remind myself "It's only paper"...I can toss it! I guess I hate to admit defeat). Added some Viva Décor gold pearls for the stamens.

Used DI in shades of blues, to get the blues I wanted for the background. Wanted to add something in peachy tones - not orange - to complement the blues. Used Spiced Marmalade and went over that with Festive Berries. It's not 'peach', but at least it helped with the very yellow tones in the Marmalade. I quite liked this background. Spritzed with some water, then some Perfect Pearls Gold Spray (A NBUS!) that I found in a container of sprays. (and all of these are NBUS (?es?) as I would buy them, but didn't use them). I'm still not great at spritzing!! Too heavy handed. Considered some stenciling, but wanted the flower to take center stage, so left things alone.

Hunted through a bunch of small paper packs looking for something either peachy or turquoise in tones. With all these small packs I have you'd think I'd have something that would go with, but not finding anything that reached out to grab me. THEN I found this lily paper in a $3.00 K&Co pack, (and yes, I know the price, 'cause the sticker is still on the front of the package). Aha, liked that. Hunted up a MS loopy punch, and Bob's Yer Uncle. Saw a sheer orange-y tone bow that I'd tied months ago, stuck back on the desk...final touch. The card is done.

I will add a sentiment when I need a quick card. With the Elizabeth Craft sentiment dies, it's easy to personalize a card. Or if I got real industrious, I could even stamp a small sentiment. The JustRite set the flower is on, has some small sentiments.

Thanks for joining me & stay cool wherever you are. If you're having evening thunderstorms as is our area, hope your power stays on as well, to keep those air conditioners humming. Hugs

11 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful Mary,the flower is coloured perfectly the background is lovely and I like the paper too.
    Kevin xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful card Mary! I love the flower but it is that inky background that is gorgeous!! I also love that punched paper, beautiful paper, beautiful punch!!! Hugs my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All your hard efforts have paid off as this is gorgeous . Love the colours and the flower is so pretty. Hugs Mrs a.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous card!! I love the placement of all the colors

    ReplyDelete

  5. Hi Mary, I know what you mean about staring in one direction and 'switch gears' into another. I do that ALL the time! I was thinking to myself, 'what does she mean the painting is not good?' and then I realize that you used a decoupaged flower with Copics over the first stamp. Great way to save that beautiful background, love the colour combination and the lily paper matches perfectly ! Beautiful design. Cheers, Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it paid off to not give up as this is really pretty! Love the hot, summery colours...perfect for this heat wave!

    I will look for the name of the word dies when I am home again. Heading back on Friday afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card Mary! Are you getting as much rain as we are?
    sandy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary let me just say that I agree with all these ladies in saying that your card turned out beautiful! I LOVE working with sprays, inks, paints and anything that you can get your hands messy with. With that being said, it is all an art form. You never know what you will end up with and that is the fun of it. Creating and playing and turning an ordinary piece of paper into something beautiful with all its color tones, shimmer, shades and such. I think you did a beautiful job misting, not heavy handed at all in my opinion. It has a clear and even coating of spray and look gorgeous against that pretty patterned paper. Lovely job, don't be so critical of your work and don't be so hard on yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mary, your flower is GORGEOUS! Lots of color, depth and dimension - well done! Love the patterned paper with the scalloped edge. Keep experimenting and having fun - that's what it's all about :) Loll xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out wonderfully! Love that gorgeous flower and the background again is amazing! Isn't it wonderful when our experiments turn out good? I need to experiment more often.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Mary you are truly turning into the queen of amazing beauty of colours and creations, well done my friend, just superb, Shaz in in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete