Followers

7/18/2013

All Occasion

Hello, and hope your afternoon is staying cool or that you can stay inside where it _is_ cool. It's very hot in our area with high humidity.

Recently I saw a beautiful card by Loll (here), and decided I wanted to try this technique. We purchased the mini-torch & some metal sheets to try this look out. I had sent the link for the card to a friend, who suggested I try using a heat tool first. I have an old Marvy heat tool that gets much hotter than the smaller Ranger heat tool, so here's the first result (not as pretty as Loll's, but I did like it).


The copper leaf is from an Impression Obsession Leaf die, heated with a Marvy heat tool (and took FOR-ever to get to this stage). The copper glitter leaf *  is from a Memory Box die, which I also tried out on the copper metal, but didn't get a great result. Don't think the thin MB die had a sharp enough cut for the metal. Plus a bit more intricate on the tiny leaves. I had to use the Tim Holtz scissors to finish the cut. The edges are sharp too, so had to be very careful. I'm going to try the mini-torch but this was done inside, and I didn't want to be torching anything unless I could be outside.

Background is from a Craftworks stencil using various colors of Dylusions sprays (can you tell I'm having fun with these?) This was done some time ago, so could be considered a snippet, I think...Rounded the corners so more of the yellow Bazzill card base would show.
The paper rose & leaf were from a bunch that had about 8 roses wired together, so I separated the bits, hit the roses - which were all yellow - with different shades of Dylusions..just to see what the look would be. You can see I got some red overspray on the leaf.  Again, this was left over bits - so I'm calling this embellie a snippet too.

- Ditto for a snippet on  the green punched border, done with an EK Success punch - left from another project.

The new bits were the rhinestones, the ribbon-( an ombre yellow & green which is no showing up well)  & the leaf dies, and the yellow cardbase. (No wait, that came from the scrap box too, where I had used a yellow 8.5 x 11 & had half of it left! So hey, that's a snippet too!). Goodie, I can go play in the duck pond at Pixie's Playground, and maybe get a little cool. Wonder if they have anything cool to sip on....Let's be off.

Thanks for joining me, stay cool & enjoy some good craft time if it's hot where you are. Hugs

*Edit: Wasn't too clear in saying the MB leaf is from copper glitter paper. This die did not cut the copper metal sheet well. I do have a piece which I will use on another card - it was kind of 'raggedy' from having to finish the cut with scissors. I did heat it up to see how it would look, but this leaf is just the glitter paper! Sorry I didn't explain well.

*Edit 2: A very kind blogger advised me of the http://sparklesforumchallenges.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/challenge-46-autumn-colours.htmlfor Autumn Colors and suggested I submit this card. So I did! Thank you Brenda, at /http://butlersabroad.wordpress.com/ for alerting me to this blog challenge. I'll pass the info along to anyone reading this blog, that might like to check out Sparkles Autumn Colors Challenge.

20 comments:

  1. wow, it's GORGEOUS!!! I think it's one of my favorite cards that you've made! Stay cool, waving at you from the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous Mary - love the colours and you gave me a gateway to link up to Loll - see her name everywhere and your creation inspired me to become one of her followers too... cheers - have a great week - Mxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness. Such a lot packed onto your card with if fervent techniques. Love it. If you going in the duck pond I might just get you with me trusty water pistol. That duck you see might just be a decoy! Hugs Mrs a. The A. Team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this Mary! I would have never thought to try a heat gun to do this!!! How clever! As always you have made the most beautiful card!! I'm so envious of your talent lady! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit for the heat gun idea...a friend suggested trying it. It does work...just takes a real long time. Also don't think the change in color is as intense as what Loll achieved with the mini-torch, but maybe because I didn't keep the heat on the metal long enough. I held that heat tool on the metal for more than 30 minutes, and the stem never did change colors. Next time we're going outside to try with the mini torch. I really do like the effect, but those metal edges are very sharp.

      Delete
  5. This is gorgeous Mary. Love the effect you have got and am off to the link to see how it is done.
    Hugs
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful design, Dylusions definately are great fun. The leafs look great, beautiful colour. Shirleyx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, it's gorgeous! So many techniques and details. Love it.

    I can't get my yahoo to work right now but I did get the package. Sensational! Will email when I can. Also have a house full of company!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous...love the effect of torching the metal...I have a bit of metal stashed away that I have never used...NBUS idea methinks!!!

    Also love the depth of colour you obtained with the Dylusions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's every bit as lovely as Loll's card, I disagree with you! Those copper leaves are gorgeous and I love the background too!
    Wow, you passed through Scranton/Wilkes Barre PA which is just a hop, skip & jump away from me! Next time you're up this way, let me know!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow just amazing, wonderfully brillaint card, Mary you really are beyond me on this idea must look up Loll's card too wonderful results, clever girl..

    ... praying for your coming op too.. soon now..

    and wont decorate top of my drawers as you wont see them with what I have on it :D thanks so much for popping over Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning Mary! Love how you have so many fascinating elements on the card. I had a creme brulee torch but someone here hid it, knowing how dangerous I can be! Thing I'll be sticking with some copper mirri card I found the other day in a drawer - but it's a great idea!

    Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Mary, haven't popped in for a while, not as much computer time in this hot and humid weather, yuk! It's supposed to break this weekend in Michigan and I'm really looking forward to that! Belated happy wedding anniversary to you and your hubby, 50 years is such a long time! I'll be halfway to that next year. This is a beautiful card you've made, really love all that detail, and the cutout over the paper. Love the leaves, the bow, oh I just love it all! I think you could enter it at Sparkles Monthly Challenges this month, the want to see autumn/fall colours. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's stunning and will have to look into this technique. My heat tool is an old Marvy and still does a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the copper leaves and the matching flower!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Mary . . . exceptionally pretty card with some lovely techniques. Thanks for sharing.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning, you are really getting the great touch. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous Mary, so many techniques here all combined with a fantastic effect :) Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning.Thanks for sharing with us at Sparkles.

    Hugs Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh this card is just beautiful!!! I love the colors and shimmer!

    Hugs,
    Jo
    xox

    ReplyDelete