Followers

3/04/2013

St. Paddy's Card

Happy Monday Morning and I hope your day has gotten off to a good start. We have some sunshine, a bit on the coolish side however. We'll be heading out to the fitness center in a few moments. I had a couple more St. Pat's images I wanted to finish up, so I finally got around to putting on cards. This card is one that is a total experimental effort. I had some pretty paper from a couple years ago, and I bought it because of this Celtic Knot design. I decided I would try cutting out a specific portion of the design paper, using Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel on it, to see how it would look. I used Versa mark to cover the cut out design, dumped some UTEE on it, and did this process 3 times. Of course the paper curled, and when I straightened it out, these lovely cracks appeared. (There is a technique doing this, and then putting in the freezer for a couple minutes, then crackling it. I didn't even have to refrigerate this one). I debated about using some DI in vintage photo for more distressing, then decided against it.
- Mats are snippets from a pile of St. Patrick themed paper bought in past
years. I tried to select some that had colors of the UTEE square

- MS corner punch on the darker mat

- Memory Box Elegant Scrollwork die
 
- S/Binder Ribbon Tags Trio diecut the computer generated sentiment

Since most of this card is a snippet experiment, I think I shall wander over to the Playground and see what everyone is up to. What is the Playground, you might be asking? Well, it's a fun place with a lot of lovely talented cardmakers & crafters, and the only ticket you need to get admitted is to make your project using a lot of snippets. What is a snippet? In the USA, we call 'em scraps or leftovers...these ladies have a much nicer term...snippets! Don't you just love the term? Sounds so much nicer & more elegant than SCRAPS! So come along, and let's pop over to Pixie's (the head Playground lady who is very sweet ...smart too...she helps me with all the blog mixups!) and see what these girls are up to. They are sure to make us welcome, if we promise to play nicely with everyone.  I may not even send this card out, but I'm sure to get some good advice from these talented crafters..so off we go!

10 comments:

  1. i can see why you bought the paper; it's a nice sized celtic design. i've only done the UTEE technique with regular embossing powder and then not 'cracked' it, but i like the look you achieved with yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Putting stuff in the freezer!! I put craft things in the airing cupboard to dry but if The Doc caught me adding items to the freezer He would think I really had lost the plot!! Great technigue. Reminds me of the glazing on a sticky toffee apple. (Do/did you have those in USA?). Hugs Mrs A.
    p.s. Thanks for your lovely long email. Still digesting it before I reply, which I will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun technique and love this beauty!! SO PRETTY!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool looking card. And I agree, Snippets is way better than Scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mary,

    What a beautiful St. Patrick's Day card. I love celtic designs.

    Peace,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card Mary - love the crackled effect too. Thank you for the sweet comments about the Snippets Playground - it's all down to you girls who come and play, I just lock the gates for a little while each Saturday to clear up the sweetie wrappers :)

    Isn't it strange, over here we don't tend to celebrate St Paddy's Day much (except for in Ireland of course) - my Irish Granny would have had something to say about that I would expect!

    Hugs, Di xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great St. Patrick's Day card, Mary! I've never done any techniques like this, but love to see your amazing creations using up your snippets. I'll see you over at the Tree House this afternoon and maybe the seesaw will be open for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always manage to crack layers of embossing powder... I even manage to crack glossy accentss *lol*
    I love your card - it's perfect for man or woman, family or just one person.
    Bubbles,
    #23 at Pixie's Playground :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely card Mary! I love the Celtic knots, think they are so cool looking! Love that you used your beautiful paper, letting it do the work for you. I loved that you used the UTEE on the design and I love the cracks! lol Makes it look like cracked glass. So it is kinda' cool that it cracked without you trying to crack it, makes a great card my friend! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mary . . . fab results from your experiments.

    Did you do this in the science lab with your safety goggles on? Time to come outta there and play now. You can find me on the swings!

    Hugs
    Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete