Followers

3/27/2013

Birthday

Good afternoon, and it's a beautiful Wednesday in our Upstate area...still on the cold side. But nothing so  extreme as those temps I'm hearing about in the UK & other areas. I mailed out Easter cards yesterday, but still have a couple to finish for hand delivery. I took a little break from the Easter motifs to start on my summer birthday cards (plus I have a very important one for DH to think about & get made! July is getting nearer).  This image was an attempt at watercolor, with Derwent Inktense colored pencils- not watercolor pencils though. I laid down a bit of color, then used one of those brushes with water in the barrel to spread the color around. After I finished it, looked at it for a while, I airbrushed a little (or a lot!) of Copic BG0000 for the background. Watercolor paper just sucks in the alcohol ink of a copic. I have a lot more practice to do on this one! I've been trying to watercolor with Distress Ink, as I see so many lovely cards with this technique, but I just am not having great success with that. So here's one of the birthday cards that needs to be ready for June - I decided to go ahead & use the image.


- stamp is Prickly Pear

- sentiment diecut with Elizabeth craft die

- cardbase & trims were textured Bazzill

- S/binders deckled oval for cardfront opening, classic oval for the mat (which I chose because of the colors of the flowers in the watercan) The cardbase is a sort of gray-blue that I thought looked nice with the gray watercan.

- border trim was a snippet from the mat & diecuts, just enough to cut a small straight piece, which I trimmed into a scallop using shaped scissors.

So thanks for stopping in to visit, and have a terrific afternoon. If your area is one that has been hit with this intense cold, I hope you can stay inside out of the weather, cozy & warm...crafting or doing something that makes you happy. Hugs.

7 comments:

  1. Mary, this is outstanding!! Love your water coloring on this. Beautiful card!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really lovely card Mary. I bought some Inktense pencils at the weekend and I love the effect you can get with them, the colours are so true and vibrant. You did a great job with yours. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi mary, thanks for well wishes. this is very pretty and you did a great job colouring; the colours are very vivid and are nicely framed with the deckle oval. i love the happy bday die cut too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Mary ah you have been having fun, great work my dear!
    ... you say this is not good but the colours are so bright and beautiful, well done indeed - too hyper critical - great idea to frame it the way that you have done so well!! Shaz in oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice garden themed stamp...I really like that image.
    Great card...you are so efficient...I am still to finish my 2 Easter Cards! Eeeeek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what practice you need Mary, cause your coloring with watercolor pencils looks awesome! I love the way you colored the watering can, it looks so real to me!! Love the vibrant colors of your leaves and flowers too, and the soft hint of blue with the air brush looks fabulous! I just love this card!!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully coloured Mary, I've got inktense pencils on my wishlist, they look so vibrant and rich. This is a gorgeous image too and I love the double oval with just a peek of red underneath. Cathy x

    ReplyDelete